See our Tweets

Looking for the perfect blend – the perfect balance?

The rewards are rich and varied on Alderney…

Imports and Licences

Importation of Animals:

You will require a licence to import:

– Animals and Birds
– Cats and Dogs
– Endangered Species

Alderney is Rabies-free and only cats, other domestic animals and dogs originating from the British Isles or cleared through an authorised UK harbour may be landed in Alderney, once they have been cleared by the Alderney Customs Authorities.

However, under the recently-introduced Pet Travel Scheme, cats and dogs may also be imported from St. Malo, France – via Guernsey or Jersey – exclusively with Condor Ferries. Otherwise a 6-month quarantine applies. Animals travelling from other countries require an import licence and may be subject to 6 months quarantine.

Pit Bull Terriers, Japanese Tosa or any other type of dog which appears to have been bred for fighting may not be imported.

All dogs over the age of six months must be registered with the States of Alderney. Licences are issued by the General Office and are renewable on 1st January annually. A numbered disc is issued with the Licence. Dogs must wear a collar and disc at all times – replacement discs are available for a small fee.

Dogs are restricted from certain areas of the island at certain times of the year. To obtain a copy of The Dogs (Controlled Places) Ordinance 1989, click here.

For further information, please contact:

The States of Alderney Chief Executive’s Office
PO Box 1001
The Island Hall
Royal Connaught Square
Alderney GY9 3AA
Tel: +44 (0)1481 822811
Fax: +44 (0)1481 824528

Personal Effects:

Import duty is liable on goods imported from outside the European Union and is collected at a rate common to all twelve union countries. Excise duty, which applies to alcoholic beverages, tobacco products and motor fuel, is set locally by the States of Guernsey.

Relief from payment of import duty on personal effects, household effects and motor vehicles may be obtained in certain circumstances. In general terms, goods must have been in the importer’s ownership and used abroad for at least six months.

Motor Vehicles, including Motor Cycles:

Import Permit – An Import Permit must be applied for before bringing a motor vehicle to the island. Any vehicle that arrives in Alderney without a Permit will be detained by Customs until an application form is completed, fee paid and Permit issued. Documentary evidence of un-laden weight is required.

Please contact the States General Office for further information prior to application.

Registering your Vehicle – If you intend to bring a car with you to the island then you will need to re-register it in Alderney within 14 days of arrival. Before registering your vehicle you will need to provide a certificate, or, cover note of Third Party Insurance issued by a Guernsey authorised insurer and the original and current registration document for the vehicle from the country in which it is registered.

If you do not have the registration documents, then, as an alternative, a Certificate of Permanent Export for the vehicle will suffice. We are only able to accept original copies of the aforementioned paperwork. When you visit the States of Alderney General Office to register your vehicle you will be asked to complete an application form and pay a set fee. A further fee is due dependent on the actual un-laden weight of the vehicle. Vehicles will not be registered unless an import fee has been paid.

Driving Licence – New residents are required to apply for a Guernsey Driving Licence within one year of arriving in the island. The States of Alderney are able to exchange full licences issued by many countries, including the United Kingdom and European Union members, for Guernsey licences provided that this is done within the one year period. Failure to do so may result in you having to take your driving test again. Please enquire at the States of Alderney General Office for further information.

Please note – Alderney has its own Traffic Regulations. Please request a free copy from the States of Alderney General Office. Whilst all car parking is free, Disc Parking Zones operate in some areas, including the Airport – parking discs can be obtained from the General Office. Please be sure to read the signs and set the parking disc accordingly.

Caravans, camper vans or dormobiles are not permitted on the island.

Dangerous weapons:

The full law is available from the States Offices. This is a brief description of the items it covers. This law makes it illegal to have in your possession or use “any weapon of any description designed or adapted for the discharge of any ammunition or for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or any other thing, and includes any component part of any such weapon and any accessory to any weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon” unless you have a Weapons Certificate.

The definition of weapon includes shot guns, spear guns, catapults, bows, crossbows, ball bearing guns, air rifles, rifles and pistols. The application forms for a Weapons Certificate are available from the States General Office and must be completed in full with an accurate description of the weapon(s) and ammunition to be purchased or in your possession.

If a weapon or ammunition is to be brought onto or exported off the island then an Import or Export licence is required. Application forms are available from the Chief Executive Officer’s department.

All weapons’ applications are referred to the police. The Chief Executive Officer has the right to refuse or revoke a Weapons Certificate if he believes the applicant to be under the age of eighteen years or unfit to hold a Weapons Certificate. There is an appeals procedure.


The possession or importation of any illegal substances are totally banned in all the Channel Islands and, irrespective of category, quantity, street value or personal circumstances, except if prescribed, may be punished with severe fines and in many cases carry a prison sentence.

If you require further information or advice please contact:

The States of Alderney
Chief Executive’s Office
PO Box 1001
The Island Hall
Royal Connaught Square
Alderney GY9 3AA
Tel: +44 (0)1481 822811
Fax: +44 (0)1481 824528


Immigration legislation in the Channel Islands is similar to that in the United Kingdom. It applies to everybody who is not British or an EU citizen. Citizens who do not fall into the above categories should contact their nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate who will be able to establish their immigration status and advice on the procedure and visa requirements in order to enter the Channel Islands.

For further information regarding the immigration laws of the Channel Islands, please contact:

The Immigration & Nationality Division
New Jetty, White Rock
St. Peter Port
Tel: +44 (0)1481 741420